- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup milk, plus more if necessary
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fine yellow cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat.
Add 3 tablespoons of the arepa batter to skillet, using the bottom of a spoon to flatten. Spread the batter into a 3 to 4-inch circle. Cook arepas for about 8 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown. Flip arepa and cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes until crisp. Add more butter from the remaining 3 tablespoons to the skillet between batches when necessary.