c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
- 6 to 8 servings
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4inch dice
- 1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 pound anejo cheese, cut into 1/4inch dice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 ancho pepper, stemmed
- 3 green onions, dark green parts only, thinly sliced on the diagonal
In a large mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, feta, anejo, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Toss to mix, and distribute the mixture evenly in a shallow ovenproof casserole, glass or earthenware. Pour the cream over the top and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Halve the ancho chile lengthwise and scrape out the seeds, being careful to keep the two halves intact. Push the two halves of pepper into the potatoes so that they are secure, like 2 little bowls, and fill each with an equal amount of the remaining olive oil. Bake the dish for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until the potatoes are tender. When serving, spoon a little of the hot pepper oil over the surface of the dish and scatter with some of the sliced green onions.