- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 small Savoy cabbage, core removed, thinly sliced
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound long-grain white rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 green onions, light and dark green parts only, finely sliced
Wash rice and drain.
In a large heavy saucepan heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until just beginning to soften. Add rice, red pepper and the cumin and stir together for 2 minutes. Add the cabbage and tomato and cook for 3 minutes more, or until the mixture is thickened. Add the water and salt, increase the heat to mediumhigh and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat a little so that the liquid is simmering actively. Stir every minute or 2 until the rice is almost dry, then reduce the heat to very low, and stir in the green onion. Cover tightly, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 5 minutes more.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.