Arroz: Spanish Rice
- 1 tablespoon lard or solid vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 1/4 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 whole tomatoes from a 15-ounce can
- 1/4 cup liquid from canned tomatoes
- 40 -ounce can chicken broth (30 ounces used total)
Open can of tomatoes and chicken broth and set aside. These ingredients have to be added quickly, so have them ready.
Heat lard or shortening in a saucepan on medium-high. Add rice, stirring constantly. When rice is brown, immediately add the onion and garlic and stir so it is evenly mixed. Quickly add the 2 tomatoes (squish them with your hand). Add 1/4 cup of liquid from the can of tomatoes and 3/4 of the entire amount of chicken broth. Bring to a full boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer until rice is tender and most of broth has evaporated, about 20 to 30 minutes. (The remaining broth can be added if rice is still a little hard) Remove rice from heat and leave covered until ready to serve.
The recipes for this program, which were provided by contributors and guests who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in the Food Network?s kitchens. Therefore, the Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.
Recipe courtesy of Laura Holmes