50 After-School Snacks
Mix up your afternoon routine with these smart ideas from Food Network Magazine. (Photographs by Karl Juengel)
Hearst Communications Inc., 2010
1. Sweet Bagel Chips Slice stale cinnamon-raisin bagels crosswise into thin rounds. Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake 10 minutes at 325 degrees F; flip, brush with more butter, sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar and bake 10 more minutes.
2. Garlic Bagel Chips Melt 3 tablespoons butter with 2 chopped garlic cloves in a saucepan. Make Sweet Bagel Chips (No. 1) using plain bagels and topping with the garlic butter and grated Parmesan.
3. Fruit Dip Mix 1 cup low-fat sour cream and 2 tablespoons each brown sugar and lime juice; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Thread fruit onto skewers; serve with the dip.
4. Cheesy Chex Mix Toss 3 cups Chex cereal, 2 cups mini pretzels and 1 cup cheese crackers with 3/4 cup grated Parmesan, 1/2 stick melted butter and a pinch of garlic powder. Spread on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes at 325 degrees F, stirring.
5. Caramel Popcorn Melt 1/3 cup butter with 1 tablespoon honey and a pinch of salt. Toss with 12 cups popcorn and 1 cup pecans. Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake 15 minutes at 325 degrees F, tossing. Cool.
6. Sesame Potato Chips Preheat 2 baking sheets in a 425 degrees F oven. Toss thinly sliced russet potatoes with olive oil and salt. Spread on the hot baking sheets, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake 10 minutes.
7. Curry Potato Chips Make Sesame Potato Chips (No. 6); toss the potatoes with curry powder before baking. Omit the sesame seeds.
8. Salami Snails Top strips of refrigerated breadstick dough with 1 strip each of provolone and salami; roll into pinwheels. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with dried oregano. Bake as the dough label directs.
9. Pita Nachos Split a whole-wheat pita into 2 rounds, then cut into wedges. Broil until golden, then sprinkle with grated cheddar and salsa and broil until the cheese melts. Top with sliced scallions.
10. Apple Quesadillas Melt some butter in a skillet, then lay a flour tortilla in the pan and top with grated cheddar and thinly sliced apple on one side. Fold the tortilla in half and cook until golden on both sides. Cut into wedges.
11. Granola Bars Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan with 1/3 cup each honey and brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. Mix in 2 cups rolled oats, 1 cup each chopped nuts and dried fruit, and 2 tablespoons wheat germ. Press into a parchment-lined 8-inch-square pan and bake 30 minutes at 300 degrees F. Cool, then cut into bars.
12. Fruit Smoothie Puree 1 cup vanilla yogurt, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 frozen banana and 1/4 cup orange juice in a blender until smooth.
13. Ham Pinwheels Spread scallion cream cheese on a sun-dried-tomato tortilla and top with thinly sliced ham. Roll up the tortilla and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
14. Pepperoni Pizza Bread Halve a small loaf of Italian bread horizontally and toast under the broiler. Brush with olive oil, then top with tomato sauce, grated mozzarella, Parmesan and sliced pepperoni. Broil until bubbly. Sprinkle with dried oregano.
15. Granola Mix 3 cups rolled oats, 1 cup mixed seeds, 1 cup chopped mixed nuts, 1/4 cup shredded coconut and a pinch each of salt and cinnamon. Toss with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 3 tablespoons honey. Spread on a baking sheet and bake 25 minutes at 325 degrees F, tossing. Cool; stir in 2 cups mixed dried fruit.
16. Salsamole Mix 1/2 cup salsa, 2 smashed avocados, 2 tablespoons each lime juice and chopped cilantro, and salt to taste. Serve with tortilla chips.
17. Mango Salsa Scoops Toss 1 cup each diced mango and black beans with 1/4 cup diced red onion. Add 2 tablespoons each chopped pickled jalapenos and the liquid from the jar, chopped cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt. Serve in tortilla scoops.
18. Chocolate Chow Mein Microwave 1/4 cup each peanut butter, chocolate chips and butter until melted. Put 3 cups each chow mein noodles and Chex cereal, and 1/2 cup each chopped peanuts and raisins in a resealable plastic bag; add the chocolate mixture and shake to coat. Add 2 cups confectioners' sugar and shake again.
19. Nutella Egg Cream Mix 2 tablespoons room-temperature Nutella and 3/4 cup milk in a glass. Quickly stir, then pour in 1/2 cup cold seltzer.
20. Bean Roll-Ups Spread bean dip on a flour tortilla, top with shredded cheddar and roll up. Brush with vegetable oil and bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. Serve with salsa.
21. Crunchy Chickpeas Cook a 15-ounce can drained chickpeas in an ovenproof skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon each cumin and smoked paprika, 2 minutes. Season with salt, then bake 20 minutes at 425 degrees F.
22. Cinnamon-Sugar Sticks Beat 1/2 cup softened cream cheese with 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar until smooth. Spread onto strips of refrigerated breadstick dough. Twist and stretch into 12-inch sticks and bake as the dough label directs. Brush with melted butter.
23. Black Bean Hummus Puree a 15-ounce can drained black beans with 1 garlic clove, 2 tablespoons each lemon juice and tahini, and 1 teaspoon cumin; add water if needed. Season with salt. Serve with crackers or vegetables.
24. Edamame Hummus Make Black Bean Hummus (No. 23), but substitute 1 cup cooked shelled edamame for the beans. Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil and top with sesame seeds. Serve with rice crackers.
25. White Bean Hummus Make Black Bean Hummus (No. 23), but substitute white beans for the black beans and add 1/2 cup chopped scallions. Serve with pita or breadsticks.
26. Nutty Pretzel Wands Spread peanut butter on the top few inches of pretzel rods. Roll in chopped peanuts and/or dried fruit.
27. Apple Moons Slice an apple into crescents. Spread with peanut or almond butter and press granola on top.
28. Crackerwiches Spread peanut butter on saltines. Top with thin strawberry slices. Drizzle with honey and top each with another saltine.
29. Smoky Pretzel Mix Melt 1/2 stick butter with 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. Toss with 3 cups mini pretzels and 2 cups mixed nuts. Spread on a baking sheet and bake 20 minutes at 325 degrees F, stirring.
30. Artichoke-Pesto Bites Mix 1/2 cup each ricotta, chopped artichoke hearts and pesto with 1/4 cup grated parmesan, and salt and pepper. Spread on focaccia and top with mozzarella. Bake 10 minutes at 375 degrees F.
31. Jam Pockets Roll out refrigerated pizza dough to 1/4 inch thick; cut into 3-inch rounds. Top with a dollop each of cream cheese and jam. Brush the edges with beaten egg, fold in half and press to seal. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Poke a hole in each; bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.
32. Ricotta-Apple Pockets Make Jam Pockets (No. 31), but fill with ricotta, diced apple and a pinch of cinnamon sugar. Brush with egg and sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar before baking.
33. Broccoli-Cheddar Pockets Make Jam Pockets (No. 31), but fill with chopped cooked broccoli and shredded cheddar. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan before baking.
34. Pizza Pockets Make Jam Pockets (No. 31), but fill with tomato sauce and grated mozzarella and Parmesan. Brush with egg and sprinkle with more Parmesan before baking.
35. Tortellini Kebabs Toss cooked spinach tortellini, grape tomatoes and mini mozzarella balls with pesto, olive oil, salt and pepper. Thread onto skewers.
36. Yogurtwiches Place a scoop of frozen yogurt between graham cracker squares. Roll the edges in chocolate chips. Freeze until firm.
37. Better Brownies Prepare your favorite brownie batter, adding 1 cup shredded zucchini (squeezed dry); divide among greased mini-muffin cups and bake 15 to 18 minutes at 350 degrees F.
38. Berry Brownies Prepare your favorite brownie batter and divide among greased mini-muffin cups. Press a raspberry or sliced strawberry into the batter; bake 15 to 18 minutes at 350 degrees F.
39. Pretzel Melts Sandwich small slices of cheddar between mini pretzels. Put on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes at 425 degrees F. Serve with mustard.
40. Loaded Oatmeal Cookies Prepare a 17.5-ounce package oatmeal cookie mix as the label directs, but substitute 1/2 cup applesauce for the butter or oil and add 1/4 cup wheat germ and 1 cup each chopped mixed nuts, dried fruit and shredded coconut to the batter.
41. Jicama Sticks Peel a jicama; cut into sticks. Toss with lime juice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro, salt, sugar and chili powder.
42. Fruit-Nut Treats Make Rice Krispies Treats as the label directs, adding 1/4 cup sesame seeds and 1/2 cup each chopped dried fruit and sunflower seeds with the cereal.
43. Elvis Waffles Spread peanut butter on toasted mini whole-wheat waffles. Top with sliced banana, crumbled bacon and honey.
44. Tuxedo Olives Cut cheese sticks into thin strips. Stuff inside large pitted olives. Toss with olive oil, red wine vinegar and parsley.
45. Banana Chips Slice a banana into 1/8-inch-thick rounds and lay on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 200 degrees F until golden, 2 to 3 hours. Let harden at room temperature.
46. Chicken and Waffles Mix chicken salad with some sliced grapes and chopped walnuts. Spoon onto toasted mini whole-wheat waffles.
47. Pomegranate Slushies Blend 1 cup pomegranate juice and 2 tablespoons honey with 3 cups ice until slushy. Pour into glasses and top with more juice.
48. Fruit Leather Mix 1/3 cup no-sugar-added fruit preserves with 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Spread into a 2-by-12-inch strip on greased parchment; bake 45 minutes at 225 degrees F. Cool, then trim the parchment and roll up.
49. Dried Apples Cut an apple in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Lay on a greased baking sheet and bake at 200 degrees F until dry, 2 to 3 hours.
50. Matzo Melts Brush matzo crackers with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and dried rosemary. Top with sliced turkey and shredded cheddar. Bake 5 minutes at 400 degrees F.