50 Game-Day Dips
For the biggest game of the year, you can never have too much dip.
1. Fondue Rub a small pot with garlic; add 1 cup white wine and simmer. Whisk in 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with a splash of cognac, then 1/4 pound each Gruyère and Emmentaler cheese; add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Serve hot with apples and bread
2. Tahini Dip Puree 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste), the juice of 2 lemons, 2 teaspoons ground cumin and 1 minced garlic clove. Drizzle in 1/2 cup hot water; puree until smooth.
3. Hummus Make a half batch of Tahini Dip (No. 2); puree with 1 can chickpeas, 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 cup hot water.
4. Red Pepper Hummus Make a half batch of Tahini Dip (No. 2); puree with 1 can chickpeas, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 cup roasted red peppers and 1/2 cup hot water.
5. Fried-Chickpea Hummus Make Tahini Dip (No. 2); puree with 1/2 can chickpeas. Microwave until warm. Fry the other 1/2 can chickpeas in olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Top the hummus with the fried chickpeas, red pepper flakes and chopped parsley.
6. Edamame Hummus Make a half batch of Tahini Dip (No. 2). Puree with a 16-ounce bag of thawed shelled edamame and 1/3 cup olive oil; add enough water until smooth.
7. Charred-Tomato Salsa Broil 2 tomatoes until charred, then cool and core. Pulse in a food processor with 1 minced jalapeno, 1 scallion, 1 garlic clove and 1 tablespoon fresh mint. Season with salt.
8. Deviled Dip Puree 8 hard-boiled eggs with 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon mustard, 1 chopped pickle, a dash of hot sauce, and paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chives.
9. Pimiento-Cheese Dip Mix 1/2 pound each grated cheddar and pepper jack, 1/4 cup each mayonnaise and sour cream and 2 tablespoons diced pimientos. Season with hot sauce and onion and garlic powders.
10. Eggplant Caviar Roast 1 eggplant at 400 degrees F until tender, 45 minutes, then peel and chop. Mix with 2 tablespoons each olive oil and parsley, the juice of 1 lemon, 1 chopped garlic clove, and salt and pepper.
11. Caponata Make Eggplant Caviar (No. 10). Sauté 1/2 cup each chopped celery, red bell pepper, tomato and red onion in olive oil, then stir in 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar and 2 teaspoons sugar; mix with the Eggplant Caviar. Stir in 2 teaspoons capers.
12. Olive Tapenade Pulse 1 cup black olives, 3 anchovies, 2 tablespoons each olive oil and capers, 1 tablespoon each lemon juice and parsley, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme and 1 garlic clove in a food processor.
13. Tomato Tapenade Make Olive Tapenade (No. 12) with 2 cups oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes instead of olives. Use white wine vinegar in place of the lemon juice and basil instead of thyme. Thin with water.
14. Clam Dip Puree 2 cans clams with 8 ounces cream cheese, a handful of parsley, 1/2 cup each cottage cheese and mayonnaise, 1/2 chopped onion, 2 tablespoons clam juice and 1/2 teaspoon celery salt. Add the zest and juice of 1 lemon, and salt and pepper.
15. Romesco Dip Puree 1/2 cup toasted almonds, 2 roasted red peppers, 2 chopped seeded tomatoes, 1 garlic clove, 1 slice toast and 1 teaspoon smoked paprika. Add 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil; puree.
16. Refried-Bean Dip Sauté 1/2 chopped onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves and 2 teaspoons ground cumin in olive oil. Add 2 cans pinto beans and salt; mash, adding chicken broth until creamy.
17. Tzatziki Mix 1 grated peeled cucumber, 2 cups Greek yogurt, 1 small minced garlic clove and 1 tablespoon each chopped mint, dill and white wine vinegar.
18. Spicy Raita Make Tzatziki (No. 17) without dill and vinegar. Add 1 diced jalapeno, 1 diced tomato, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro.
19. Baked Ricotta Mix 1 cup ricotta, 1 teaspoon each chopped sage and lemon zest, and salt and pepper. Bake in an oiled ramekin at 300 degrees F, 20 minutes.
20. Herb Mayonnaise Blanch 2 cups mixed fresh herbs in boiling water, 30 seconds. Puree with 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 2 tablespoons mango chutney and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add a splash of lime juice.
21. Salsa Verde Puree 1 cup each parsley and basil, 3 chopped scallions, 2 tablespoons capers, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 2 anchovies, 2 garlic cloves and 1/3 cup olive oil. Season with salt; thin with water as needed.
22. Slow-Cooker Spinach Dip Mix 1 cup grated smoked mozzarella, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 box thawed frozen spinach, 1 jar artichoke hearts, and salt and pepper in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high, 2 hours.
23. Pepper-Rosemary Dip Saute 1 minced garlic clove in 1/4 cup olive oil. Puree 1/2 cup jarred piquillo peppers, 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary, 11 ounces goat cheese, half of the garlic oil, and salt and pepper; top with more garlic oil.
24. Peanut Dip Scoop the cream from a can of coconut milk. Mix with 1 cup coconut milk, 1/3 cup peanut butter, 2 tablespoons red curry paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and lemon juice.
25. Hot Crab Dip Mix 8 ounces each crabmeat and cream cheese, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup each Parmesan and muenster, a splash of lemon juice, 1 minced garlic clove and a pinch of pepper in a baking dish. Add 1/2 cup mixed basil, parsley and chives. Bake at 375 degrees F, 30 minutes.
26. Green Chutney Puree 1 inch ginger, 3 chopped scallions, 1 cup each mint and cilantro, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1 chopped jalapeno and a splash of lime juice. Add salt; thin with water. Serve with naan.
27. Green-Goddess Dip Puree 4 anchovies, 1 garlic clove and 2 tablespoons each chopped basil, chives, tarragon, parsley and dill. Mix with 1 cup each sour cream and mayonnaise. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
28. Spinach-Walnut Dip Puree 2 cups spinach and 1 garlic clove. Mix with 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, 1 teaspoon each chopped tarragon, dill and cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt.
29. Onion Dip Saute 1 each chopped yellow and red onion in olive oil over low heat until caramelized, 30 minutes; cool. Mix with 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 3/4 cup mayonnaise and chopped chives and scallions. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
30. Blue Cheese Dip Puree 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 3/4 cup mayonnaise and 1/2 pound blue cheese. Add chopped chives, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and celery salt and pepper to taste.
31. Wasabi Dip Combine 2 tablespoons wasabi powder and 2 tablespoons water, then set aside 20 minutes. Mash with 8 ounces each cream cheese and ricotta and 3 tablespoons each mirin (rice wine) and rice vinegar.
32. Roasted Garlic-Bacon Dip Cut the tops off 2 heads garlic, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and bake at 400 degrees F until tender, 45 minutes. Make Onion Dip (No. 29) using the roasted garlic pulp in place of the sautéed onions. Add 6 slices chopped crisp bacon.
33. Tomato Chutney Toast 1 teaspoon each coriander, fennel and cumin seeds in vegetable oil. Add 2 pounds chopped tomatoes, 2 tablespoons each tomato paste and grated ginger, and a pinch each of curry powder, cayenne, sugar and salt. Saute until thick. Serve with flatbread.
34. Horseradish Dip Mix 1 pound grated cheddar, 1 grated apple and 1/4 cup each mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish and beer. Add 1 teaspoon each Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Season with onion and garlic powders.
35. Bagna Cauda Melt 1 stick butter with 1/2 cup olive oil. Add 5 chopped garlic cloves and 8 chopped anchovies; mash. Serve warm with crudites.
36. Aioli Whisk 2 or 3 minced garlic cloves with 2 egg yolks. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups olive oil. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste; thin with water as needed. Serve with crudites.
37. Olive Aioli Make Aioli (No. 36). Stir in 3 tablespoons store-bought olive tapenade.
38. Orange-Saffron Aioli Make Aioli (No. 36) with orange juice instead of lemon. Steep 1/2 teaspoon saffron in 2 tablespoons Pernod for 5 minutes, then add to the aioli.
39. Tomatillo Salsa Broil 20 husked and rinsed tomatillos, 1 sliced onion and 4 unpeeled garlic cloves until charred. Peel the garlic and puree with the tomatillos, onion, 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, 2 tablespoons cilantro and a pinch each of sugar and salt.
40. White-Bean Dip Fry 10 sage leaves, 4 chopped garlic cloves and a pinch of red pepper flakes in 1/4 cup olive oil. Add 1 can cannellini beans and 1/3 cup water; warm through, then puree. Add a splash of lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
41. Seven-Layer Dip Layer salsa, guacamole, refried beans, sour cream, shredded cheddar, crushed tortilla chips and shredded lettuce in a large baking dish.
42. Spicy Ranch Dip Whisk 1/4 cup each sour cream and minced red onion, 1/3 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 clove minced garlic and 1 tablespoon each chopped chives, parsley, and chipotles in adobo sauce; season with salt.
43. Guacamole Mash 3 avocados with 1/2 cup minced red onion and 1 to 2 minced jalapenos. Stir in 1 diced tomato, 1 bunch chopped cilantro and a splash of lime juice. Season with salt.
44. Asian Guacamole Make Guacamole (No. 43) with 1 bunch chopped scallions instead of red onion. Add 1 teaspoon grated ginger, 1 cup diced peeled cucumber and a splash each sesame oil and soy sauce.
45. Queso Dip Saute 3 tablespoons minced onion in oil. Add 1 can green chiles, 2 tablespoons flour, 1/3 cup beer, 1/4 pound each grated muenster and cheddar and a handful of chopped cilantro; cook until the cheese melts, then broil until bubbly.
46. Chorizo Dip Make Queso Dip (No. 45); brown 1/4 pound sliced chorizo with the onion and replace the canned chiles with 1 diced jalapeno.
47. Classic Salsa Mix 4 diced tomatoes, 1 minced red onion, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 to 2 minced jalapenos and a handful of chopped cilantro. Season with salt.
48. Tropical Salsa Make Classic Salsa (No. 47); use 3 cups diced pineapple and mango instead of tomatoes and grated ginger instead of garlic. Add a splash of rum and a pinch of allspice.
49. Ricotta-Tomato Dip Simmer 2 cups tomato sauce in a small skillet. Add 1 cup ricotta in dollops and warm through. Garnish with basil and drizzle with olive oil.
50. Pizza Dip Make Ricotta-Tomato Dip (No. 49) in a small ovenproof skillet; top with diced mozzarella and pepperoni, then bake at 350 degrees F until bubbling.
Photographs by Antonis Achilleos
Fried-Chickpea Hummus (No. 5)
Puree 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste), the juice of 2 lemons, 2 teaspoons ground cumin and 1 minced garlic clove. Drizzle in 1/2 cup hot water; puree with 1/2 can chickpeas. Microwave until warm. Fry the other 1/2 can chickpeas in olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Top the hummus with the fried chickpeas, red pepper flakes and chopped parsley.
Roasted Garlic-Bacon Dip
Cut the tops off 2 heads garlic, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and bake at 400 degrees until tender, 45 minutes. Sauté 1 roasted garlic pulp in olive oil over low heat until caramelized, 30 minutes; cool. Mix with 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 3/4 cup mayonnaise and chopped chives and scallions. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Add 6 slices chopped crisp bacon.
Orange-Saffron Aioli (No. 38)
Whisk 2 or 3 minced garlic cloves with 2 egg yolks. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups olive oil. Add orange juice, salt and pepper to taste; thin with water as needed. Steep 1/2 teaspoon saffron in 2 tablespoons Pernod for 5 minutes, then add to the aïoli. Serve with crudites.