21. Roasted Tomato Salsa: Make Salsa Verde (No. 20), replacing the tomatillos with tomatoes and using 4 garlic cloves.
22. Olive-Poblano Salsa: Toss 1 poblano chile with olive oil and cumin; grill until charred. Seed, chop and toss with 1/2 cup each chopped green olives and tomato, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 1 grated garlic clove, and lemon juice and salt to taste.
23. Squash-Hominy Salsa: Toss 1 cup each diced zucchini, yellow squash and butternut squash, 1 can hominy (drained and rinsed), 1 bunch chopped scallions, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 5 dried arbol chiles, 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 minced garlic clove; roast at 450 degrees F, 15 minutes. Toss with 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, and lime juice and salt to taste.
24. Warm Hominy Salsa: Purée 3/4 pound husked tomatillos, 1 garlic clove, 1 jalapeno and 1/2 cup each diced white onion and chicken broth in a blender. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan; add the tomatillo purée and fry, 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup each canned hominy and chopped cilantro; simmer until thickened, 10 minutes.
25. Papaya-Tomatillo Salsa: Cook 1 pound husked tomatillos in a dry skillet over high heat until charred; chop. Toss with 1 cup diced papaya and 1/4 cup each chopped red onion and cilantro. Add lime juice, salt, sugar and hot sauce to taste.
26. Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa: Cook 1 pound quartered husked tomatillos, 1/2 chopped white onion, 3 garlic cloves and 1 serrano chile in boiling water, 8 minutes. Drain and purée with 1 avocado, 1/2 cup cilantro, a pinch of sugar and 1/4 cup water. Add lime juice and salt to taste.
27. Warm Chorizo Salsa: Soak 5 stemmed dried New Mexico chiles in boiling water, 10 minutes; drain, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Meanwhile, broil 1/2 white onion, 1/2 large tomato and 1 unpeeled garlic clove until charred. Peel the garlic; purée with the onion, tomato, chiles and reserved liquid. Heat the salsa in a skillet and add 1/2 cup crumbled cooked chorizo.
28. Roasted Mushroom Salsa: Toss 1/2 pound each cremini and stemmed shiitake mushrooms with 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and ancho chile powder. Roast at 375 degrees F until browned, about 25 minutes; cool and chop. Mix with 3/4 cup each chopped tomato and red onion, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, and lime juice to taste.
29. Cajun Corn Salsa: Toss 1 ear of corn and 1 each red and orange bell pepper with olive oil and 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning; grill until charred. Slice off the corn kernels; seed and chop the peppers. Toss with 1/4 cup each chopped celery, scallions and parsley. Add hot sauce, lemon juice and salt to taste.
30. Poblano-Corn Salsa: Grill 2 ears of corn and 2 poblanos until charred. Slice off the corn kernels; seed and chop the poblanos. Toss with 1 diced tomato and 1/2 cup each chopped white onion, cilantro and grated cotija cheese. Add lime juice and salt to taste.