41. Fra Diavolo: Season the wings with salt and pepper and roast. Cook 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes in 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 minute, then add 2 cups marinara sauce and simmer 5 minutes. Toss with the wings.
42. Garlic-Chorizo: Season the wings with salt and pepper and roast. Cook 1/4 cup sliced dried chorizo in 1 tablespoon olive oil until crisp; add 3 sliced garlic cloves and cook until golden. Toss with the wings.
43. Popcorn: Finely grind 8 cups white cheddar popcorn and 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder in a food processor. Dredge the wings in flour, then dip in 3 beaten eggs and coat in the ground popcorn mixture. Roast, turning once, until crisp, 45 minutes. Serve with ranch dip.
GRILLED WINGS (Nos. 44 to 50)
Grill 3 pounds chicken wings (split at the joints, tips removed) over medium heat, turning, until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
44. Hawaiian: Purée 1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks with 1 tablespoon each oyster sauce and honey. Toss the wings with salt and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and grill, brushing with the sauce in the last 5 minutes.
45. Carolina-Style: Mix 3 tablespoons each melted butter, yellow mustard, cider vinegar and brown sugar. Toss the wings with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and grill, brushing with the sauce in the last 5 minutes.
46. Cola-Glazed: Boil 1 can cola, 1 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons puréed chipotles in adobo sauce until reduced to 1 cup. Toss the wings with vegetable oil and grill, brushing with the cola sauce in the last 5 minutes.
47. Blackened: Toss the wings with 1 1/2 teaspoons each Cajun seasoning, paprika, cayenne, dried oregano and thyme, kosher salt and pepper. Grill.
48. Tequila-Lime: Marinate the wings in 1/4 cup each tequila and lime juice, 2 tablespoons each olive oil and agave nectar, and salt and pepper to taste, 2 hours. Grill.
49. Thai Peanut: Marinate the wings in 1/4 cup each coconut milk and Thai peanut sauce, 1 hour. Grill on oiled grates. Season with salt.
50. Tandoori: Marinate the wings in 1/2 cup each tandoori paste and Greek yogurt, 30 minutes. Grill on oiled grates.
Photographs by Andrew Purcell