50 Zucchini Recipes
1. Zucchini Bacon-Egg-and-Cheese Saute 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini in butter over medium heat until dry. Add 3 beaten egg whites; scramble. Add 1/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese; cook until melted. Serve in a toasted, buttered roll with cooked bacon.
2. Zucchini Frittata Saute 1 medium sliced zucchini and 1 large peeled, sliced potato in olive oil in a medium nonstick ovenproof skillet until tender; season with salt and pepper. Whisk 8 eggs with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, 1/4 cup cream, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper. Pour over the vegetables. Bake at 400 degrees F until set, about 15 minutes.
3. Lemon-Ricotta Zucchini Pancakes Mix 1 cup grated zucchini, 3/4 cup ricotta and the zest of 1 lemon into 2 cups prepared pancake batter before cooking. Serve with butter and honey.
4. Zucchini-Cheddar Scones Pulse 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor. Add 1 stick diced cold butter; pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pulse in 1 egg and 1/3 cup cream. Add 1 cup each grated zucchini and shredded cheddar, and 2 tablespoons chopped chives. Pulse until clumps form. Pat into a 1-inch-thick round on a parchment-lined baking sheet; cut into 12 wedges and pull apart. Bake at 400 degrees F until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Zucchini Smoothies Puree 3 cups each chopped zucchini and coconut water, 2 cups each cubed pineapple and baby kale or spinach, 1 cup frozen cubed mango and one 2-inch piece peeled, sliced ginger.
6. Zucchini Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins Whisk 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk 3/4 cup each milk and vegetable oil, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini, 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Divide among 12 lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
7. Skillet Zucchini Cornbread Whisk 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 2/3 cup cornmeal, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Whisk 1 cup each grated zucchini and milk, 2 sticks melted butter and 2 eggs. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Butter a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Pour in the batter and smooth the top; bake at 375 degrees F until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
8. Zucchini Focaccia Stretch 1 pound room-temperature pizza dough into a 9-by-12-inch oval (about 1/4 inch thick) on an oiled baking sheet. Top with 6 chopped squash blossoms and 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary. Layer with 1 each small thinly sliced zucchini and yellow squash, overlapping slightly. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Bake at 450 degrees F until golden, 25 to 30 minutes
9. Zucchini Ricotta Toasts Mix 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini, 1 cup ricotta and 1 tablespoon chopped mint; season with salt and pepper. Spread on grilled bread; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with flaky sea salt and chopped squash blossoms.
10. Grilled Zucchini-Wrapped Halloumi Slice 8 ounces halloumi cheese crosswise into 8 rectangles. Shave 8 long slices from 1 medium zucchini on a mandoline; tightly wrap around each halloumi piece and secure with a toothpick or small wooden skewer (soaked in water). Brush with olive oil. Grill over medium heat, turning, until charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
11. Grilled Zucchini Slice 2 medium zucchini lengthwise 1/4 inch thick; toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat until lightly charred and tender, 2 minutes per side.
12. Zucchini Rollatini Mix 3/4 cup ricotta, 1/3 cup Parmesan, 1 egg and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. Make Grilled Zucchini (No. 11); top each slice with 1 tablespoon ricotta. Roll up; arrange seam-down in a baking dish. Top with 1 cup marinara sauce. Bake at 425 degrees F, 25 minutes.
13. Zucchini-Corn Tacos Make Grilled Zucchini (No. 11), tossing with 1 teaspoon cumin before grilling; chop. Serve in tortillas with charred corn kernels, salsa and crumbled queso fresco.
14. Zucchini Dip Make Grilled Zucchini (No. 11). Puree with 1/4 cup mint leaves, 1 garlic clove, the juice of 1 lemon, and 3 tablespoons each tahini and olive oil; season with salt. Thin with water. Sprinkle with paprika. Serve with pita bread.
15. Zucchini Tzatziki Mix 2 cups Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup grated zucchini (squeezed dry), 1 minced garlic clove, and 2 tablespoons each olive oil and chopped dill and mint; season with salt.
16. Zucchini Salsa Toss 2 cups diced tomatoes, 1 cup diced zucchini, 1/4 cup each chopped cilantro and red onion, 2 tablespoons each pickled jalapenos and the brine, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey; season with salt.
17. Zucchini Salsa Verde Puree 1 cup chopped zucchini, 1/2 bunch chopped parsley, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon capers and 6 to 10 anchovies; season with salt.
18. Zucchini Pesto Puree 1 cup each basil and chopped zucchini, 1/3 cup each Parmesan and toasted pine nuts, 1 garlic clove, the juice of 1 lemon and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes in a food processor. Pulse in 1/3 cup olive oil until smooth; season with salt.
19. Zucchini Saute Cook 2 sliced celery stalks, 1 each chopped fennel bulb and onion, and 3 smashed garlic cloves in olive oil over medium heat, 5 minutes. Add 3 cups each chopped zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper; saute 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons each red wine vinegar and tomato paste, and 2 teaspoons sugar. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in chopped olives and parsley.
20. Zucchini Gazpacho Soak 2 slices white bread in 1 cup cold water. Puree with 2 cups chopped zucchini, 1/2 cup each green grapes, almonds and olive oil, 1 garlic clove and 1 teaspoon each sherry vinegar and kosher salt in a blender, 2 minutes. Chill.
21. Zucchini and Carrot Ribbon Salad Shave 1 pound each zucchini and carrots into long strips using a vegetable peeler. Toss with 1/4 cup each chopped parsley and olive oil, and the juice of 1 lemon; season with salt.
22. Quick Zucchini Pickles Toss 2 medium sliced zucchini and 1 sliced red onion with 2 tablespoons kosher salt; drain in a colander, 2 hours. Bring 1 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon pickling spice to a boil; pour over the vegetables. Let cool; chill (up to 5 days).
23. Zucchini Chips Shave 1 medium zucchini into long strips using a vegetable peeler; toss with 1/4 cup each flour and grated Parmesan mixed with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. In batches, deep-fry in 325 degrees F oil (half olive oil, half vegetable oil), stirring with a fork to separate, until browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on a rack; season with salt.
24. Turkish Zucchini Fritters Toss 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; drain in a colander, 30 minutes. Squeeze dry. Mix with 2 eggs, 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup each chopped scallions, onion, dill, parsley and crumbled feta. Shallow-fry tablespoons of the batter in olive oil over medium heat until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with yogurt mixed with minced garlic and dill.
25. Zucchini Tempura Whisk 1 cup each cake flour and seltzer with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. In batches, dip squash blossoms and halved baby zucchini in the batter; deep-fry in 360 degrees F vegetable oil until crisp, 2 minutes. Drain on a rack; season with salt. Serve with ponzu sauce and lemon wedges.
26. Crispy Zucchini Mix 1/4 cup each panko and grated Parmesan and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt on a plate. Halve 1 medium zucchini crosswise; thinly slice lengthwise. Dip in 2 beaten eggs, then dredge in the panko mixture. Shallow-fry in olive oil over medium heat until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on a rack; season with salt. Serve with lemon wedges.
27. Zucchini Parm Sandwiches Make Crispy Zucchini (No. 26); layer on the bottom of split rolls with marinara sauce and fresh mozzarella. Broil until the cheese melts; sandwich.
28. Zucchini Quesadillas Saute 1/2 each medium chopped zucchini, onion and poblano chile and 6 chopped squash blossoms with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in butter over medium-high heat until softened. Divide between two large flour tortillas along with 1 cup shredded Jack cheese. Fold in half and cook in a large buttered skillet over medium heat until golden and the cheese melts, 3 minutes per side.
29. Zucchini Tart Roll out 1 thawed puff pastry sheet to a 9-by-11-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Poke all over with a fork; bake on a baking sheet at 400 degrees F, 15 minutes. Spread with 1/4 cup jarred sun-dried tomato pesto mixed with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Top with 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 1 each small sliced zucchini and yellow squash, and some rosemary leaves and sliced scallions. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until bubbly, 15 minutes.
30. Zucchini Ranch Dressing Puree 1/2 cup each mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk, 1 cup chopped zucchini, 1/4 cup each chopped parsley, dill and scallions, 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon each Worcestershire sauce and kosher salt, and a pinch of cayenne in a blender.
31. Zucchini Bean Salad Make Zucchini Ranch Dressing (No. 30). Boil 1 each medium whole zucchini and yellow squash in salted water, 10 minutes; drain. Let cool; dice. Toss with 3/4 cup of the dressing, 1/2 sliced red onion and one 15-ounce can each kidney beans and black beans (drained and rinsed). Season with salt.
32. Zucchini Pasta Salad Whisk 1/2 cup each sour cream and mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon each mustard, cider vinegar and pickle relish, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Toss with 1 pound cooked short pasta, 1 1/2 cups each diced zucchini and bell pepper, 1/2 cup chopped scallions and 1/4 cup chopped dill; season with salt.
33. Roasted Zucchini Slice 2 medium zucchini 1/2 inch thick; toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper. Roast at 450 degrees F until tender, 10 minutes.
34. Spicy Zucchini Potato Salad Make Roasted Zucchini (No. 33). Boil 8 ounces baby potatoes in salted water, 10 to 15 minutes; drain. Whisk 1/4 cup olive oil with 1 tablespoon harissa; toss with the zucchini, potatoes, 1/4 cup green olives, 1 sliced celery stalk and 2 tablespoons chopped celery leaves.
35. Zucchini Slaw Slice 2 medium zucchini into matchsticks. Whisk 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, and 2 teaspoons each sugar and Sriracha; toss with the zucchini, 1 cup shredded carrots, 1/2 thinly sliced red onion and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
36. Zucchini-Corn Succotash Saute 1 chopped scallion in butter over medium heat until softened. Add 2 cups each diced zucchini and corn kernels, 1 teaspoon thyme leaves and a pinch each of cayenne and kosher salt. Saute 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup cream. Cook until the vegetables are tender, 3 minutes.
37. Zucchini Gratin Saute 1 chopped onion in 3 tablespoons butter in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, 3 minutes. Add 2 medium sliced zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; saute 4 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Whisk in 1 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a pinch of cayenne; cook, stirring, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded dill Havarti, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and some chopped parsley. Broil until golden.
38. Stuffed Zucchini Halve 2 large zucchini lengthwise; scoop out the seeded flesh and mix with 2 cups cooked rice, 12 ounces ground beef, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon each chopped lemon zest, chives and parsley, and 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt. Spoon into the zucchini halves and bake in a baking dish at 375 degrees F, 45 minutes. Top with more Parmesan and parsley; drizzle with olive oil.
39. Zucchini Grilled Cheese Sandwich grated zucchini, sliced mozzarella and jarred tapenade between sourdough bread slices. Cook in a buttered nonstick skillet over medium heat until the cheese melts, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
40. Zucchini Fried Rice Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a wok over high heat; add 2 tablespoons each chopped peeled ginger, garlic and scallions. Stir-fry 30 seconds. Add 1 cup each chopped zucchini and yellow squash. Stir-fry 3 minutes; remove. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, then add 2 beaten eggs; stir-fry 2 minutes. Stir in the vegetables and 2 cups cooked rice.
41. Sweet-and-Sour Zucchini with Pork Marinate 8 ounces thinly sliced pork tenderloin in 1 teaspoon each rice vinegar and soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon each sesame oil and sugar. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over high heat. Stir-fry the pork until just cooked through, 2 minutes; remove. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 3 sliced garlic cloves; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add 2 medium thinly sliced zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; stir-fry 3 minutes. Stir in the pork and 1/2 teaspoon each sugar and rice vinegar.
42. Zucchini "Noodles" Slice 2 medium peeled zucchini lengthwise on a mandoline fitted with a julienne blade. Toss with 3/4 teaspoon salt; drain in a colander, 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. Toss with 1 tablespoon each Sriracha and toasted sesame oil. Top with sesame seeds.
43. Zucchini Meatloaf Mix 1/3 cup ketchup with 2 tablespoons each brown sugar and mustard. Finely chop 1 small zucchini and 1/2 onion in a food processor; mix with 1 pound meatloaf mix, 1 egg, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Form into a 1 1/2-inch-thick loaf; coat with the sauce. Bake at 350 degrees F, 1 hour.
44. Zucchini-Chicken Meatballs Mix 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini with 1 pound ground chicken, 1 egg, 1/3 cup each grated Parmesan and breadcrumbs, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Form into 12 balls. Bake at 350 degrees F, 30 minutes. Simmer in marinara sauce, 10 minutes.
45. Cacio e Pepe Zucchini Toss 5 cups grated zucchini, 1/2 cup each grated Parmesan and pecorino, 4 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons chopped mint with 1 pound warm spaghetti; season with salt and pepper.
46. Zucchini Amatriciana Saute 4 chopped bacon slices in olive oil over medium heat until crisp. Add 1 sliced onion; cook 6 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini, 1/2 cup water and one 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes; season with red pepper flakes and salt. Simmer 15 minutes. Toss with 1 pound warm pasta and some basil.
47. Zucchini Bread Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon each baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini, 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Butter an 8-inch loaf pan. Pour in the batter; bake at 325 degrees F until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Let cool.
48. Zucchini Almond Cake Whisk 1 stick melted butter, 1 1/4 cups sugar and a pinch of salt. Beat in 4 eggs, one at a time, then 1 cup each almond flour and all-purpose flour, and 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini. Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan; line with parchment. Pour in the batter; bake at 325 degrees F until golden, 40 to 45 minutes.
49. Zucchini Cookies Whisk 3/4 cup flour with 1/2 teaspoon each baking powder and salt. Melt 8 ounces semisweet chocolate with 6 tablespoons butter. Beat 2 eggs and 2/3 cup sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed, 4 minutes. Beat in the melted chocolate and 1 teaspoon vanilla, then the flour mixture and 1 cup each chopped walnuts, chocolate chips and grated zucchini. Drop tablespoons 2 inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets; bake at 350 degrees F, 15 minutes.
50. Zucchini Pimm's Cups Muddle zucchini slices with mint sprigs in a shaker. Add ice, 3/4 cup Pimm's liqueur, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 2 teaspoons sugar. Shake; strain into 2 ice-filled glasses. Top with ginger beer. Garnish with zucchini spears, strawberries and mint.
Heading to the supermarket with a shopping list is one thing, but leaving with what you need is another entirely. Yes, they stock charcoal; but should you buy briquettes or hardwood? Your buddy loves shrimp; do you get large or jumbo? For every summer essential, there seems to be a confusing variation — cilantro or parsley, whipping cream or heavy cream. Here, a cheat sheet to a half dozen shopping conundrums. Remember it the next time you hit the store and you'll come out a winner.