Mix-and-Match Mashed Potatoes
Give the essential side dish a new spin with this step-by-step guide from Food Network Magazine.
1. Cook the Potatoes
Put 2 pounds whole russet or Yukon gold potatoes in a saucepan; cover with cold water and add 2 tablespoons kosher salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-low to medium heat and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let sit until just cool enough to handle, then peel and transfer to a bowl.
Add 1 stick softened butter or 1/2 cup olive oil to the potatoes. Add 1 cup dairy (choose 1), 2 teaspoons kosher salt, and pepper to taste; mash with a potato masher or fork.
- Plain yogurt (use 1 1/2 cups)
- Sour cream (use 1 1/2 cups)
3. Pick a Flavor (Optional)
Stir 2 tablespoons each chopped fresh parsley, dill and chives into the potatoes.
Halve 4 heads garlic crosswise, put on a sheet of foil and drizzle with olive oil; wrap and roast at 350 degrees F, 1 hour. Squeeze out the cloves; mash and stir into the potatoes.
Stir 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce into the potatoes.
4. Choose a Cheese (Optional)
Fold in up to 1 cup cheese, along with up to 2 tablespoons dijon mustard or horseradish, if desired.
- Cheddar, shredded
- Gruyere, shredded
- Gouda, shredded
- Mozzarella, shredded
- Goat cheese, crumbled
- Parmesan, grated (use 1/2 cup)
5. Pick a Topping (Optional)
Spoon the mashed potatoes into a serving dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup toppings, if desired.
- Pickled peppers, chopped
- Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- Roasted red peppers, chopped
- Parsley, dill or chives, chopped
- Scallions, chopped
- Bacon (about 1/2 pound), cooked and crumbled
- Sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Shallots (about 6), caramelized in olive oil
Customize your own mashed potatoes or try one of our combinations:
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes with Mixed Herbs and Cheddar
- Mashed Potatoes with Horseradish and Scallions
- Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic, Dijon Mustard and Bacon
- Yogurt Mashed Potatoes with Chipotle Peppers, Goat Cheese and Caramelized Shallots