Download the garden layout
Garden Fun Facts
- The garden cost $200 to start just seven months ago and has already generated more than 700 pounds of produce.
- Fifteen volunteers a week, plus five full-time chefs, care for the 1100-square-foot space.
- The garden grows six types of lettuce along with greens and spinach, eight types of tomatoes plus tomatillos, and five types of cucumbers – plus dozens of other varieties of vegetables, herbs and fruits.
- It's the first of its kind here since Eleanor Roosevelt's time.
- Near this spot is a one-of-a-kind bee-hive that has produced 134 pounds of honey.
- Fruits and vegetables that Thomas Jefferson grew at Monticello are growing in the White House garden.