Artisan Double-Cherry Pie
- 1/4 cup butter, salted
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening (recommended: Crisco)
- 2 cups white lily flour, plus additional flour as needed, up to 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup cake flour (recommended: Soft as Silk)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/4 cup ice water (add more water as needed for High Altitude)
- 2 (12-ounce) bags frozen cherries, dark and sweet (recommended: Cascadian Farms)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 11/4 cups sugar (1 cup high altitude)
- 3 tablespoons Minute Tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon real almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 100 percent black cherry juice (recommended: Knudsen Brand)
- 1 ounce cherry flavored brandy (recommended: Kirschwasser)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Egg wash (1 egg and 2 tablespoons of water whisked)
- Large granule sugar for decoration
- Crust Preparation:
Using 2 pastry blenders, blend the butter, shortening, flours, salt and powdered sugar. Whisk the liquids in a 2-cup measure and pour over dry ingredients. Incorporate all the ingredients without overworking the dough. Toss the additional flour on top and scrape sides of bowl. Chill if time permits. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Roll out dough for the bottom crust. Place in a pie dish and refrigerate while working on filling.Filling Preparation:
Mix all ingredients except butter and pour into chilled pie crust. Dot with butter. Brush edges of crust with egg wash.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.Assembly:
Roll out top crust and press in decorative vents and slits before covering pie or make a lattice crust. Crimp edges and place a pie bird in the center. Brush with egg wash and garnish with large granule sugar. Bake for 15 minutes. Decrease temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for an additional 45 to 50 minutes.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.