Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vietnamese chile paste
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 4 cups chopped Chinese vegetables or Napa cabbage
- 1 (5-ounce) package rice noodles, prepared according to packing directions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
Mix soy sauce, mirin, 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil, garlic, ginger, sugar, vinegar, and chile paste in a small bowl.
Heat the broth in a medium saucepan. Add the soy sauce mixture, the chicken, and the vegetables and bring to a boil. Simmer for two minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Pour over prepared Chinese noodles. Garnish with cilantro and scallions.