Asian Lacquered Poussin with Hoisin Lime Sauce Braised Triple Cabbage "Lasagne"
- 4 poussin or Cornish game hens
- 2 tablespoons five spice salt (1 part five spice to 4 parts kosher salt)
- VINEGAR DIP:
- 3 cups black Chinese vinegar
- 1 cup dark soy
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup honey
- BRAISED TRIPLE CABBAGE "LASAGNE"
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 2 cups chopped white cabbage
- 2 cups napa cabbage
- 2 cups bok choy or choy sum
- 1/4 cup shaoshing wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 ounces butter
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 8 blanched sheets fresh pasta or 8 lasagne sheets
Season poussin inside and out. Dip poussin in hot boiling water 2 times followed by 3 dips in Vinegar Dip. Hang dry overnight, in a cool dry place. Roast at 275 degrees for 25 minutes until rare. Deep fry until golden brown. Season again.VINEGAR DIP:
Mix all ingredients together and bring to a boil.
At high heat, saute garlic and ginger. Add cabbages. Add shaoshing and stock. Cook until all is soft and liquid is 50 percent reduced. Add butter. Check for seasoning. Build a free form lasagne alternating pasta with the cabbage fondue. Place poussin on top of lasagne and garnish with hoisin lime sauce and sliced scallions.
Recipe Courtesy of Ming Tsai