Asian Pheasant au Vin with Scallion Country Mash
- 2 to 3 whole pheasants, broken down into pieces, bone-on
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans
- 1 tablespoon minced Thai bird chiles
- 12 cloves garlic
- 8 peeled cipollini
- 2 large carrots, 2-inch pieces
- 2 stalks cut celery, 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup Shaoxing wine
- 1 bottle red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dark soy sauce
- Water, to cover, if necessary
- 4 baby bok choy, split
- Salt and black pepper
- Canola oil, to cook
- Scallion Country Mash, recipe follows
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
- Scallion Country Mash:
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, washed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup roughly chopped scallions, greens and whites separated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a hot stockpot coated with oil, brown seasoned pheasant and set aside. Wipe out pot leaving only a little fat. Saute ginger, black beans, chiles, and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add cipollini, carrots, and celery. Season. Deglaze with wines and add back the pheasant. Add the bay, thyme, and soy sauce and check for seasoning. Add water if necessary and bring to a slow boil. Simmer for 2 hours until pheasant is practically falling off of the bone. For the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the bok choy.
Place the Scallion Country Mash on a large platter. Cover with the Pheasant au Vin and garnish with the sliced scallions.Scallion Country Mash:
In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes with enough water to cover and salt lightly. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the tip of a knife inserted into them meets no resistance, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the scallion whites and saute, stirring about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the cream and allow the mixture to reduce by half, about 10 minutes.
Using a hand masher, mash the potatoes coarsely. Add the cream and fold in the remaining tablespoon of butter and the scallion greens. Correct the seasonings and set aside.