Asian Shrimp and Asparagus Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 6 cups water
- Bouquet garni including: the stems and roots of a bunch of cilantro, bay leaf, smashed peeled garlic clove, 2 red chili
- 1 pound asparagus, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned straw mushrooms or fresh enoki mushrooms or sliced domestic mushroom caps
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup (packed) cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- Salt and crushed red pepper
Heat the oil and add the shallots and saute. Add the water, bouquet garni and bring to a boil and simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Add the asparagus and simmer 5 minutes or until tender; add the shrimp and simmer just until the shrimp turn pink. Add the mushrooms, and simmer to heat through (if too much liquid has evaporated, add more to keep level constant).
Remove the soup from the heat, remove the bouquet garni and stir in the lime juice to taste and cilantro. Adjust seasoning with salt and crushed red pepper.
Recipe Courtesy of �Michelle Urvater
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse