- 2 pounds Kirby cucumbers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 quarter-size pieces fresh ginger, peeled and minced fine
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and thily sliced
- 1/3 cup rice or cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
Trim the ends of the cucumbers and cut each one in half lengthwise. Place in a bowl, add the salt, and toss to coat. Let stand for 1 hour at room temperature. Transfer to a colander, rinse lightly under cold running water, drain, and place in a bowl.
Prepare dressing: In a wok or heavy saucepan set over moderate heat, heat sesame oil until hot. Add the red pepper flakes and cook, stirring 15 seconds. Add ginger, garlic, vinegar, and honey and stir-fry 30 seconds. Off heat, add cucumber and toss to coat. Transfer to a bowl, let cool and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight. Cucumbers will keep for up to one week.