Asparagus with Tarragon Sherry Vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 pounds medium asparagus, trimmed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 large egg, hard-boiled
Steam asparagus on a steamer rack set over boiling water, covered, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes (depending on thickness), then transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
Whisk together vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified. Whisk in tarragon.
Halve egg and force each half through a coarse sieve into a bowl. Toss asparagus with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette and divide among 4 plates. Spoon remaining dressing over asparagus and top with egg.
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine