Atomic Ahi Poke (Spicy Ahi Poke with Chili Water)
- 4 ounces fresh tuna (see Cook's Note)
- 1/8 cup Chili Water, recipe follows
- 1/8 cup shoyu sauce
- 1 teaspoon spicy sesame seed oil (rayu)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 3 Hawaiian chiles or Thai chiles, plus 1 for garnish
- 1 ghost pepper
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1/4 cup mixed seaweed (chuka salad, ogo, limu, wakame)
- 1/4 teaspoon red Hawaiian sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Japanese spice ( togarashi)
- 1 teaspoon wasabi-habanero flavored fish eggs ( tobiko)
- Chili Water:
- 6 Hawaiian chiles
- 2 habanero peppers
- 2 ghost peppers
- 1 knob fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Hawaiian sea salt or kosher salt
Cut the tuna into bite-size cubes and place in a medium mixing bowl. Pour the Chili Water and shoyu over the tuna cubes. Add the rayu and Sriracha sauce. Mix together and let the tuna marinate for a couple of minutes.
Dice the Hawaiian chiles, ghost pepper and habanero as small as possible and add to the mixing bowl. Add the seaweed salad and mix all the ingredients together.
Before serving, sprinkle the sea salt and Japanese spice on top of the poke. Finish off by adding the tobiko.
Warning: Consumption of raw or undercooked shellfish may substantially increase the risk of foodborne illness.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.Chili Water:
Heat the chiles, ginger, garlic, vinegar and salt with 2 cups water in a saucepan, but do not bring to a boil. Stir all the ingredients and place in a bottle or jar (slightly larger than 1 pint) and seal off. (Be cautious of the steam for it will irritate your eyes and nasal cavity.) Refrigerate overnight and allow the flavor to develop in the water. Use as you would any hot sauce.
Recipe courtesy Mike Malicdem