Aunt Jimmy's Streusel Apple Crisp
- 6 large crisp apples, peeled, cored, and thickly sliced (recommended: McIntosh)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into pieces
- Heavy cream or vanilla ice cream, garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Butter a deep 2-quart baking dish. Place the apples in the baking dish. They should be at least 2 1/2-inches deep; add more if necessary. In a bowl, stir together the flour, sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender or the paddle attachment of a mixer, cut in the butter to make a crumbly, sandy mixture. Sprinkle the topping over the apples. Bake for 30 minutes, until apples are tender and the topping is browned. Serve warm with heavy cream or ice cream.
Courtesy of Gale Gand, American Brasserie by Gale Gand, Rick Tramonto, Julia Moskin, MacMillian, Publishers, 1997