- 6 large crisp apples, peeled, cored, and thickly sliced (recommended: McIntosh)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into pieces
- Heavy cream or vanilla ice cream, garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Butter a deep 2-quart baking dish. Place the apples in the baking dish. They should be at least 2 1/2-inches deep; add more if necessary. In a bowl, stir together the flour, sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender or the paddle attachment of a mixer, cut in the butter to make a crumbly, sandy mixture. Sprinkle the topping over the apples. Bake for 30 minutes, until apples are tender and the topping is browned. Serve warm with heavy cream or ice cream.