Avocado and Tomatillo Salad with Croutons
- 1/3 loaf crusty French or Italian bread or sourdough
- 2 avocados, peeled and seeded
- 1 basket cherry tomatoes, red, yellow or both, washed and stemmed
- 2 bunches cilantro leaves, washed
- 5 tomatillos, peeled, cored and washed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, washed and sliced thinly
- 4 leaves of lettuce for lining plates
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Cut bread, with crusts, into 3/4-inch cubes. In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and add bread cubes shaking to lightly coat. Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste, reduce heat to medium low and toast croutons shaking occasionally for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Dice the avocados in 3/4-inch cubes, place in a bowl. Cut cherry tomatoes in half, add to avocados along with cilantro leaves. In a blender or mini chopper, place tomatillos, lime juice, vinegar, the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, black pepper and blend well to make dressing. Lightly toss avocados, tomatoes and cilantro with dressing and when almost mixed add croutons, continue tossing until evenly mixed. Serve salad immediately on lettuce lined plates with sliced scallions sprinkled on top.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.