Avocado Gazpacho with Spiced Croutons
- Spiced Croutons, recipe follows
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 to 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 -cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus additional, for garnish
- 1 small jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced (including green tops)
- 2 ripe avocadoes
- Spiced Croutons
- 1/2 loaf (8 ounces) crusty bread
- 2 ounces (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 teaspoons ground chile powder, such as ancho
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
Make spiced croutons up to 2 days ahead. Store in an airtight container.
In a blender, puree cucumbers, lime juice, 1/2 cup broth, 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, jalapeno, green onions, and 1 of the avocadoes, diced. Season, to taste, with salt. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until next day.
Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F. Cut bread into small cubes and spread on a baking sheet. Toast in oven until crisp and golden, about 10 minutes. Melt butter and stir in ground chile powder, salt, ground cumin, thyme, and pepper to taste. Pour over bread cubes and toss to coat. Return to oven and toast 5 minutes more.
Copyright 2001, Tori Ritchie. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira