- Cocoa Powder Blend:
- 2 cups chocolate shavings, Scharffen Berger or Callebaut
- 1 cup cocoa powder, Scharffen Berger or Cacao Barry
- 2/3 cup sugar with 1 vanilla bean chopped and mixed into the sugar
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 cup 2 percent or whole milk
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Whipped cream, as an accompaniment
- Corn husks and ancho chile powder, as a garnish
In a medium bowl, combine the Cocoa Powder Blend ingredients well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
In a saucepan, combine the milk and cream and heat until warm over medium high heat.
Once warm, turn heat down to low and add 3/4 cup cocoa powder blend. Blend with a whisk and steep with the cinnamon for 10 minutes.
After steeping, bring the mixture to a boil, and strain, to remove cinnamon stick and vanilla bean chunks. Pour into a blender and pulse, to add air and create a foamy head. Serve immediately in a bowl with whipped cream. Sprinkle with ancho chile powder and garnish corn husks.
Recipe courtesy Katrina Markoff