- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (see Note)
- 6 cups fresh or frozen baby lima beans (about 2 pounds)
- I 1/4 cups water
- Juice of I lemon
- 3/4 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint, leaves only, cut into chiffonade
Mash the butter together with the lemon zest and set aside. In a large heavy skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the jalapeno, pine nuts, lima beans, water, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce the heat so that the liquid is simmering. Simmer uncovered for about 8 minutes, until the beans have absorbed all the liquid. If the beans are still not tender and they have absorbed all the water, add a little more hot water. When the beans are tender, stir in the green onions and remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon butter and the mint, taste for seasoning, and serve immediately.
Note: To toast pine nuts, preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Spread the nuts on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.