Bacalao a la Bizcaina: Salt Cod Bizcaine Style
- For the fish:
- 1 pound salt cod
- For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons extra-vigin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pound plum tomatoes roasted, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup Manzanilla olives (about 25), cut in half
- 1/3 cup capers
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 pickled jalapenos, chopped (available in the Mexican section of any grocery store)
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Salt, if necessary
- 1 pound small waxy, red potatoes, boiled
In a medium-size bowl put the cod fish, and cover with water and let it soak for 24 hours. Change the water a least 4 times in a period of 1 day. (It's important to do this process, otherwise the fish will be extremely salty). When the cod has finished soaking, clean, picking out any cartilage or bones. Shred into small pieces.
In a large saucepan heat the oil. When hot, add the onion and saute for about 3 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and saute until golden. Add the cod and stir, add the tomatoes and cover. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, add the olives, capers, cloves, cinnamon, and jalapenos. Mix well and let simmer for 2 more minutes, add the chopped parsley, taste for salt and add if needed. Add the boiled potatoes. Remove from heat.
Place in a medium soup bowl, accompanied with toasted crusty French bread.
Recipe courtesy Priscila Satcoff