- 3 large leeks (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 salmon fillets (7 to 8 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 very thin slices of bacon, preferably applewood smoked
To prepare the leeks: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the heavy dark green leaves of the leeks, cut into 1/4-inch circles, and rinse well in cold water. You should have about 2 cups. Pour the melted butter into a small ovenproof casserole, add the leeks, mint, salt, and pepper, and pour over the heavy cream. Toss to distribute evenly. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and keep warm.
To prepare the salmon: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper on both sides. Place 2 overlapping slices of bacon over each salmon fillet. Lightly oil a large heavy sheet pan and place the salmon on it and roast in the top part of the oven for 10 minutes for medium rare. The bacon should almost melt off.