Baked Eggs and Mushrooms in Ham Crisps
- 3/4 crimini pound mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 12 slices Black Forest or Virginia ham (without holes; 10 ounces)
- 12 large eggs
- Garnish: fresh tarragon leaves
- Accompaniment: buttered brioche or challah toast
- Special equipment: a muffin tin with 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Prepare mushrooms: Cook mushrooms and shallot in butter with salt and pepper in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and liquid they give off is evaporated, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in creme fraiche and tarragon.
Assemble: Fit 1 slice of ham into each of 12 lightly oiled muffin cups (ends will stick up and hang over edges of cups). Divide mushrooms among cups and crack 1 egg into each. Bake in middle of oven until whites are cooked but yolks are still runny, about 15 minutes. Season eggs with salt and pepper and remove (with ham) from muffin cups carefully, using 2 spoons or small spatulas.
Cooks' note: The eggs in this recipe are not fully cooked, which may be of concern if salmonella is a problem in your area.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.