Baked Eggs with Spinach and Cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup coarsely grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small baguette, sliced on the a diagonal, toasted and buttered
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Select a roasting pan large enough to accommodate three 11.5 ounce mini-bakers without letting them touch. Coat the bottoms and the sides of the bakers with the butter. Bring 4 to 5 quarts of water to a boil.
3. Cook the bacon in a small skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain, then crumble. Add the onions to the skillet and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and nutmeg and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, about 1 minute.
4. Divide the cream, bacon and onions evenly among the bakers and crack 2 eggs into each. Sprinkle the tops with the Parmesan and cover with the lids.
5. Place the bakers in a roasting pan and place the pan into the oven. Fill the pan with enough boiling water to come two-thirds up the sides of the bakers. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the lids from the bakers, and bake for 12 minutes longer, then turn the oven up to broil. Broil until the whites are set but still jiggle a little and the tops start to brown, about 2 minutes longer. Serve with the buttered toast.
Copyright 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.