- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved
- 8 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 12 ounces fideo, vermicelli or angel hair pasta, broken into 1inch pieces
- 4 dried chipotle chiles
- 2 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 3/4 cup grated Anejo cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into 8 slices, for garnish
- 1 small bunch cilantro, leaves only, chopped, for garnish
In a blender jar, combine the tomatoes, garlic, onion, water, and salt. Puree until smooth and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil a medium baking dish. In a large heavy sauce pan heat the olive oil over mediumlow heat. Add the pasta and saute, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Be careful not to burn the noodles. Add the chiles and continue stirring over the heat for 2 minutes more. Add the tomato puree and the chicken broth to the pan and stir together until the liquid comes to a simmer, then transfer to the baking dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the noodles are tender. Remove the foil from the pan and distribute the cheese over the top and increase the oven heat to 400 degrees. Cook for 10 minutes more, until the top is bubbling and golden. Serve with a slice or 2 of avocado and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.