Baked Fish Fillets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening or butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pint home-canned or 1 (15-ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 pound cod fillets
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously grease a shallow 1-quart baking dish. Melt shortening in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper; saute until golden. Stir in flour, brown sugar, marjoram, salt, thyme, and pepper until smooth. Very gradually stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sauce has thickened. Arrange fish in baking dish; top with sauce. Place on rimmed baking sheet and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.