Baked Foil Wrapped Marinated Red Onion
- 4 medium size red onions, peeled
- 4 strips smoked bacon cut into 4 pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, each sliced lengthwise into 4 pieces
- 4 (8 by 8-inch) pieces aluminum foil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Make 4 slices across each red onion within a 1/2 inch of cutting through them. Into these incisions, place 1 piece of bacon and 1 slice of garlic. Place each onion in the center of a piece of foil. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the thyme, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. Spoon over each onion. Bring the corners of the foil up over the onion and twist into a tight package. Place on a sheet tray and bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before removing foil. To serve, heat by fanning on a hot well oiled grill or in the oven. Serve with a smile.
Copyright 2001, Joey Altman. All Rights Reserved