Baked Pasta with Tomatoes, Shiitakes, and Prosciutto
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh shiitakes, stems discarded and the caps sliced
- 8 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (28-ounce) cans Italian whole, peeled tomatoes, drained well and chopped
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into strips
- 1/4 pound Italian Fontina, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 pound Gorgonzola, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
- 2/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 pound penne (quill-shaped pasta) or farfalle (large bow-tie-shaped pasta)
In a large skillet, cook the onion, the garlic, the red pepper flakes, the basil, and the oregano in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened. Add the mushrooms, cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.
In a saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter over moderately low heat, whisk in the flour, and cook the roux, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the milk in a stream, whisking, and simmer the mixture, whisking, for 2 minutes, or until it is thickened.
Pour the sauce over the mushroom mixture and add the tomatoes, prosciutto, Fontina, Gorgonzola, 1 1/4 cups of the Parmesan, and parsley.
In a kettle of boiling salted water, cook the pasta for 5 minutes (the pasta will not be tender) and drain it well. Add the pasta and salt and pepper, to taste, to the mushroom mixture, toss the mixture until it is combined well, and transfer it to a buttered 3 to 4-quart baking dish. The pasta may be prepared up to this point and kept covered and chilled overnight. Bring the pasta to room temperature before continuing with the recipe. Sprinkle the pasta with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan, dot it with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, cut into bits, and bake it in the middle of a preheated 450 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the pasta is tender.