Baked Pizza Spaghetti
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2/3 pound sliced button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (Italian style preferred, not required)
- 2/3 cup Burgundy wine
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pound package spaghetti, cooked to al dente
- 1 pound sharp cheddar, sliced thickly
- 1 pound mozzarella, thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 large stick pepperoni, cut into 1/4-inch slices
Saute onions, bell peppers and mushrooms in olive oil until tender. Add garlic about halfway through saute. Work the steak sauce through the raw ground beef. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside. Add ground beef to the pan and brown beef with 1/2 tablespoon of oregano, black pepper, and 1/2-teaspoon salt. Drain the fat from the pan. Add the vegetables back to the pan with the beef. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste and 1 1/2 cans diced tomatoes. (These may or may not be needed, the recipe is somewhat imprecise).
Gradually add the remaining oregano and the wine, stirring occasionally. Simmer for 25 minutes. Add pinch of sugar. Add cooked spaghetti noodles and mix thoroughly. Pour 1/2 of the spaghetti mixture into a greased baking pan. Top with sliced cheddar cheese. Add remaining spaghetti mixture and top with mozzarella and Parmesan. If the pepperoni is low fat, it can be added on top of the cheese at this time. If not, it should be cooked in the microwave for 2 minutes, on a paper towel, until the grease runs out, then added 5 minutes before the spaghetti is ready to come out of the oven. Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees F.
The recipes for this program, which were provided by contributors and guests who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in the Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, the Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.