- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 large eggplant (unpeeled), diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces diced feta cheese (optional)
Heat oil in a heavy, large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add eggplant, green bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, zucchini and basil. Saute for 5 minutes. Cover and simmer until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Uncover pot and simmer until juice thickens, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Mix in vinegar; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread in 9-inch pie dish. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello