Banana Flower Salad
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 fresh banana flower, chiffonade
- 2 cups julienned daikon radish
- 1 cup bean sprouts, rinsed
- 1 green papaya, peeled and julienned
- 1 small red chile, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup unsalted, chopped peanuts
- 3/4 cup Vietnamese sweet and sour sauce, bottled
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- Chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
- Flower petals, for garnish
In a small bowl, add the water and squeeze the lemon into the bowl. Soak the ribbons of banana flower in the lemon water for 20 minutes and then drain. In a large mixing bowl, combine the banana flower, daikon radish, bean sprouts, papaya, chile, cilantro, and peanuts.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together the sweet and sour sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. Pour the sauce over the banana flower mixture and toss gently to coat evenly. Refrigerate the salad for 1 hour before serving. Garnish with roasted, chopped, unsalted peanuts and flower petals.
*Chef's Note: You can locate banana flowers in Asian or Vietnamese markets. If you can't find fresh banana flowers, you can substitute the canned variety.