When making a vinaigrette with a potent vinegar like one made from sherry, use the larger amount of oil.
- 1/4 white wine, champagne or aged sherry wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2/3 to 3/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in enough oil to make a smooth dressing with a balanced taste. Use immediately or store covered, in the refrigerator, for up to a week.