Basque Tossed Salad
- 5 ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 medium Spanish or red onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Spanish olive oil
- 2 large hard boiled eggs, whites diced and yolks pushed through a sieve
- 6 large red radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted (see Note)
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumbers, onion, and oregano. In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, salt, and pepper and drizzle in the olive oil, whisking until emulsified. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss again. Mound the salad onto a large platter and garnish with the egg whites, radishes, and almonds. Scatter the sieved egg yolk over the top and serve immediately.
Note: To toast almonds, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the almonds on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven until golden, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.