Bay Scallop, Shrimp, and Ahi Tuna Ceviche in Tortilla Cups
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 4 to 6 small, thin corn tortillas, about 8-inches in diameter
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound fresh baby bay scallops, side muscles removed
- 1/2 pound ahi tuna, diced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus 6 sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium, ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large, heavy saucepan, heat 5 to 6 inches of oil to 375 degrees F. Fry the tortillas, 1 by 1, in the hot oil until they are soft, about 10 seconds and drain on paper towels. Reserve, covered, in a warm spot. Heat wire "potato nest" baskets in the hot oil for several seconds, or until they are very hot. Fit a soft tortilla into the bottom basket and place the smaller basket on top of the tortilla. Immerse the baskets in the hot oil and cook until the tortilla is crispy and golden brown. Remove the tortilla cup from the basket and invert on paper towels to drain. Repeat the procedure with the other tortillas. (If you don't have a potato nest basket, you can also lay the tortillas 1 by 1 on the surface of the hot oil, then immediately push the center to the bottom with a small, empty tin can, thus creating a free form cup. Be sure to use tongs and heat resistant gloves to protect yourself.)
In a bowl, mix together the olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, red onion, and tomato and add salt and pepper, to taste. Add the seafood to this mixture and marinate, in the refrigerator, for 15 minutes to 45 minutes.
Place the tortilla cups on plates. Divide the seviche among the cups and garnish with sprigs of cilantro.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.