- 1/4 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 to 5 pound piece beef brisket, preferably point cut
- 1 recipe Quick BBQ Sauce, recipe follows
- Quick BBQ Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 12 cloves garlic (about 1 head), peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 ham hocks
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 3/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Mix together the paprika, salt and pepper, sugar, and cayenne. Rub the spice mixture all over the brisket and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the brisket in a large casserole or Dutch oven and pour the sauce over the top, hocks and all. Cover and cook until brisket is fork tender and can easily be shredded, about 3 hours. Transfer the brisket to a platter. Skim and discard the fat from the top of the sauce. Shred or thinly slice the brisket. Serve.
Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.Quick BBQ Sauce:
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, and crushed pepper and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add the ham hocks, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until deep red in color and has thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning salt with pepper. Sauce will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.
Yield: about 8 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 32 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 25 minutes