- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 2 C chopped onion
- 2 (4.5oz) cans of chopped green chilies
- 1 t minced garlic
- 2 t cumin seeds
- 1 t ground coriander
- 1/4 c vinegar (preferably cider vinegar)
- 5 previously cooked chicken legs, shredded
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 (12oz) bottle chili sauce
- 1C chicken broth
- 2 boxes cornbread mix (I use Jiffy)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 C milk (water or chicken broth also work well)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375.
In a large skillet melt butter w/ olive oil over med. heat. Cook onion 'til soft.
Add green chilies, garlic, cumin and coriander. Cook 3 to 4 min. Add vinegar, scraping pan to loosen any caramelization. Add chicken, brown sugar, chocolate, chili sauce, and chicken broth.
Stir to combine & check for seasoning. Bring to simmer and stir, cooking gently till thickened. Allow to cool. Then mix cornbread with eggs and milk (or water with a pinch of sugar or even chicken broth) in a medium bowl.
Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray then add chicken mixture. Top w/ cornbread mix, smooth. Bake 'til cornbread is lightly golden brown on top (about 23 min).
Feeds about 6 hearty portions at my house
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.