BBQ Pork Sandwich on Grilled Jalapeno Corn Flat Bread
- Jalapeno Corn Flat Bread:
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup masa harina (or any comparable corn flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- About 1 1/4 cups water, room temperature
- 1 jalapeno grilled with top on, skinned and seeded, coarsely chopped
- Oil, for coating dough
- BBQ Sauce:
- Oil, for pan
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 (20-ounce) bottle tomato ketchup, or combination tomato paste and sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses or cane syrup
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar, plus more to adjust acidity
- Hot sauce, to taste (recommended: Crystal)
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 small head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 to 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 bunch green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley, leaves coarsely chopped
- For the Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise (preferably homemade)
- 1/4 cup coarse ground mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, plus more to adjust acidity
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chili powder (preferably ancho)
- 1/2 cup smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (adjust to personal preference)
- 1 tablespoon salt, taste for level
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) pork shoulder steak, no more than 3/4-inch thick, not trimmed
DirectionsFor the flat bread:
Combine all dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the honey and water and mix on low for 3 minutes, then medium for 1 minute and then gently fold in the jalapenos. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise for 1 hour. Punch the dough down, roll into a ball and let rest for 15 minutes. Punch the dough down again and roll into a ball, then let rest for 30 to 60 minutes.
Heat grill to medium.
Roll the dough into desired shape, approximately 1/2-inch thick and coat it with olive oil before putting on the grill over indirect heat. Grill to desired level of color, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
For the BBQ Sauce:
Coat a large saute pan with oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, and the powders. Briefly saute and then stir in all the remaining ingredients. Bring to boil and immediately reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes. Cool and puree in a blender. Set aside.
Cook's Note: This sauce will keep for 10 days covered and refrigerated.
For the slaw:
Combine all the slaw ingredients in a large bowl and set aside until ready to serve. Add the dressing immediately prior to serving.
For the dressing:
Put all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the pork:
Preheat charcoal grill over high heat.
Combine all the rub ingredients in a bowl and coat the pork liberally with the mixture. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
Sear over hot coals (with a little hickory - NOT SOAKED). Turn and move the pork to the side of the grill. Cover the grill and cook for about 15 minutes for medium and medium-well on the ends. Remove the pork from the grill to a cutting board and cover loosely with foil, to rest. Chop the pork as desired.
To Make the Sandwich:
Divide and mound chopped pork on the flat bread, 4 pieces for an open face sandwich, top with generous serving of the slaw and drizzle with BBQ sauce.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Corn Flakes® Encrusted Pork Cutlet Sandwich on a Buttermilk Biscuit, Jalapeno-Lime Corn on The Cob, Grilled French Bread Dessert Sandwiches, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Turkey Sandwiches, For a Family, Beef Wellington Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.