BBQ Soft-Shell Crabs with Grilled Vidalia Onions
- 4 soft-shell crabs, rinsed and cleaned
- 2 sticks margarine or butter (margarine will cause less flaring)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 small lemons, juiced
- 4 slices crisp bacon, crumbled
- Grilled Vidalia Onions, recipe follows
- Grilled Vidalia Onions:
- 4 small Vidalia onions
- 4 tablespoons dry vegetable seasoning
- 4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
Place the cleaned crabs on plate. Liberally coat the crabs with the sauce, making sure to lift the sides of the shell to coat the meat inside. Save remaining sauce for basting. Cover the crabs and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Heat grill to medium-low.
Place crabs on grill topside down. Baste with remaining sauce while they cook. Cook crabs about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. The crab will crisp on the outside and the meat inside will turn white.
Remove from grill and serve topped with Grilled Vidalia Onions.Grilled Vidalia Onions:
Heat griddle or nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
Peel onions and cut into thin rings. Toss rings with seasoning and olive oil.
Yield: 4 servings
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Chris Holmes