BBQ Volcano Chipotle Wings
- 4 cups ketchup
- 3 cups pureed chipotle
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup hot sauce, such as Frank's Original Hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 1/3 cup red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons liquid hickory smoke
- 40 pounds chicken wings
- Blue cheese and celery sticks, for serving
For the volcano chipotle sauce: In a saucepot over medium heat, combine the ketchup, chipotle puree, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, cayenne, granulated garlic, Sriracha, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, hot sauce, mustard, salt and liquid smoke for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep partially covered for some ventilation. For maximum heat, add more red pepper flakes. Turn the deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
For the chicken wings: No seasoning needed. Drop the wings, in batches, in the deep fryer or home fryer for 8 minutes. A good way to know when the wings are done is when they float on the top of the oil for 30 seconds. If you don't have a fryer at home, preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Place the wings on a greased sheet tray and cook for 25 minutes. Flip your chicken at the halfway mark. Remove the wings from the fryer or oven and place in a bowl. Cover with your volcano chipotle sauce and toss. Best served with blue cheese and celery.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.