- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup mango juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 16 (1-ounce) abalone steaks
- 2 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces pineapple, cubed
- 8 ounces pears, cubed
- 8 ounces peaches, cubed
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
Mix soy sauce, sherry, mango juice, vinegar, mustard, ginger, and garlic together in a bowl. Reserve 1/3 of the mixture for a glaze. Put abalone steaks in a shallow baking dish, pour marinade over. Marinate the steaks for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate covered up to 4 hours.
Preheat an outdoor grill to high heat.
Place 2 skewers about 2 inches apart on your work surface. Weave the marinated abalone steaks onto the skewers so that the steaks will lie flat on the grill. Alternate with fruit pieces between the steaks. Each double skewer will hold 2 to 3 steaks plus fruit.
Grill over high heat until abalone is cooked, about 1 minute per side. Brush the fruit with the glaze and serve immediately.