- 1 whole chicken, (preferably fresh slaughtered) 4 to 5 pounds
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Welch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon South African hot spice mix
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 can beer, from South America, if available
Add coals to one half of grill. Clean chicken, remove head and innards. Rub paprika, sugar, salt, spice mix, oil, mustard, and pepper into chicken, under skin and inside cavity.
Open the beer and add any remaining seasoning to beer can. Place chicken over the beer can, inserting the can gently into the cavity of chicken.
Place chicken on opposite side of coals on grill. Make sure chicken is covered - use large pot if your grill cover is too small. Add coals to maintain high heat if it cools down. Make sure chicken is not directly over coals. Use an instant-read thermometer to test temperature, it should read 165 degrees F under thigh. Remove carefully and carve.
* Guest Recipe
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.