Bean Soup with Rice
- 1 3/4 pounds fresh white beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small stick celery, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 bunch basil, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 small hot chili
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces bacon, finely diced
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 16 ounces rice, cooked
Put the shelled beans in a pan with 2 quarts of cold water. Bring slowly to boiling point. Cook the beans until they are tender, adding salt when they are nearly done.
Finely chop the onion, garlic, celery, basil, parsley, and small piece of red chili. Fry these gently in 3 tablespoons of oil, together with the bacon. When it has all turned a light golden color, add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and continue cooking for about 15 to 20 minutes. Put it all through a vegetable sieve and add the beans with their cooking water. Stir well and continue cooking for 10 more minutes. Add rice. Serve hot or lukewarm without cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Il Latini