Bean Sprout Salad with Warm Shiitakes, Chinese Chives and Chinese Ham Vinaigrette
- 1 cup sliced shiitakes
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup chopped Chinese chives
- 1/2 cup sliced Chinese ham, julienned
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Chinese black vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 pound bean sprouts, hair removed
In a hot saute pan, coat with a little olive oil, and saute the shiitakes and shallots until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chives, and ham and stir. Deglaze with both vinegars and season. Whisk in the oil, add mustard, check for seasoning and bring back to temperature. Drizzle on top of the bean sprouts to wilt. Mix well and verify seasoning.
PLATING Mold the salad in o-rings and drizzle with leftover vinaigrette.
Wine Recommendation: Cloudy Bay, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough New Zealand, 1998
Recipe Courtesy of Ming Tsai