Bebek Betutu: Roast Duck in Banana Leaf
- 1 (4 1/2-pound) duck, washed and patted dry
- Bumbu (Spice rub):
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 18 shallots peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons fresh turmeric, peeled and chopped
- 6 candle nuts, chopped
- 5 tablespoons ginger, peeled, and chopped
- 5 bird's-eye chiles, sliced
- 5 tablespoons "thousand spice" (a Balinese spice mix)
- 2 teaspoons dried shrimp paste, roasted and coarsely crushed
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
- Banana leaves (can substitute greaseproof paper or aluminum foil for wrapping)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, or prepare charcoal grill.
In a mixing bowl, make a marinade with the shrimp paste, soy sauce, and oil. Place the duck in the bowl and massage the duck with this mixture. Remove the duck to the banana leaves or foil.
Add the bumbu paste to the remaining marinade, mix well and slather the inside and outside of the duck with the marinade. Close the openings of the bird with skewer, add water, and wrap the duck in several layers of banana leaves, grease proof paper or foil and steam for 50 minutes. Transfer the duck to a moderate oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Another option is to do the final roasting over a slow charcoal fire rather than in the oven. Be sure to turn the duck several times if cooking over charcoal.
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence
Recipe courtesy of Danny Boome