Beef and Mushroom Ragout
- 4 cups veal stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound 2 ounces of beef tenderloin scraps, cut into 3/4 by 1 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 pound white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Dijonstyle mustard
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 scallions, white and green parts only, sliced 1/4-inch thick on the diagonal
- Spatzle (recipe above)
Prepare the spatzle as directed in the above recipe.
Heat a large heavy skillet over high heat until it is very hot, and add the vegetable oil. Saute the beef strips, tossing frequently, for 2 minutes, or until seared. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, tossing, until they give up their liquid. Add the mustard, cream, salt, a generous amount of pepper, and the reduced veal stock. Stir to mix thoroughly and remove from the heat.
Make a bed of the spatzle in each of 6 shallow heated bowls, top with a generous spoonful of the ragout and lots of sauce, and sprinkle a few scallions over each.
Recipe Courtesy of Hans Rockenwagner
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay